Sunday, September 14, 2014

Bucket List

I had a wonderful summer!  We all have bucket lists of one type or the other, I suppose.  My bucket list was inspired to take more form by watching the movie of that name a few years ago.  I began to think about what I would like to do that I have not done. 

I want to have a great relationship with each of my grandchildren (at that point none were being actively planned) and each of my children and their spouses.  I began the journey of improvement in that area with the birth of my first grandchild in September 2011. That coupled with the invitation of my children, prompted me to move to Dallas to be closer to them.  I found a new job which was definitely a huge change when I thought I was too old to be switching horses. That change has challenged my thinking and inspired new directions in my career.  

Soon the number of grandchildren I am building relationships with will grow from the one pictured here to three! My sons and their wives will add more cubs to the den in October and November of this year.  That is a grand total of three! This is an item on my list which will continue to need attention in order to continue to build relationships. 

I have some places I want to go.  Again, the item is multi-faceted so will continue to need attention.  I received my first passport stamp by going to Canada this summer.  What a fun trip!  I have a few other stamps for that passport on my bucket list to attain. 

Attending a National instead of just a state conference of Social Workers was on my list and was achieved this summer.  It was an amazing conference with awe inspiring speakers at each of the plenary sessions.  I actually was able to see a few folks I never thought I would see in person.

My life has really been full of momentous occasions which fill my memory banks.  I saw the Dalai Lama in person a few years ago - definitely on my bucket list and completely amazing!  I saw Yo-Yo Ma perform with the Austin Symphony a few years ago.  I really never thought I would be able to see him in concert!  I saw a Cowboy game live!  I realize I am not finished just yet and will continue to add to my Bucket List and check the items off.

One of the most important things on my bucket list is being present in each moment I am lucky enough to experience.  If you catch me with my attention wandering, give me a nudge!

You are never too old to do the things you want.  I don't write mine down at this point.  I do not always realize something is "on my bucket list" until I think "I REALLY would like to...".  It is at that point that it goes on my list TBD.  I find that this exercise helps me really experience something.  Knowing that "I really want to ..." helps me seize it and enjoy it when the opportunity arises to accomplish it.  When opportunity arises, I take it.  In the meantime, I enjoy each moment.  I do not let worry about "what if" rob me of the pleasure of what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment