Sunday, March 9, 2014

Thoughts Are Fleeting

Have you ever thought about the fact that negative thoughts are fleeting.  My negative thoughts revisit my younger days of very low self-esteem.  In those times, I found myself doubting that I ever had a friend, that I was worthy of love, and thinking that I had more flaws than anyone else.  I have learned over the years that those dark thoughts are just whispers from the past. I remind myself of that and begin doing some refocusing when they resurface.   I look around and find the things in my life that make it a pleasure.  I focus on those things.

About a week ago I had a few negative thoughts.  I decided to refocus my thoughts and accept any opportunities if they came my way.  Opportunities for happiness began to pile up.  If I had stayed focused on those negative thoughts, I would probably have missed some of these opportunities to enjoy my life.

There will always be challenges.  There will always be bad things that happen for no apparent reason.  We do not have to focus all our being on those.  We should see them in order to navigate through, around or over them.  We should not take responsibility for anything besides our own behavior.  We should learn any lessons about our own behavior that are available.  While doing those positive things,  we can also remember to look around to find the good in our lives.  

As I get older I find I have to spend more time refocusing my physical eyes.  They used to quickly adjust when I changed my focal point.  It takes a few more blinks as I age.  On the other hand, I refocus my thoughts more quickly, thanks to much practice at remembering that negative thoughts (and the feelings that go with them) are fleeting.  

I am fully convinced that people who do themselves harm get caught up in a moment of negative thoughts.  

If we get stuck on a negative thought, its like being in a whirlwind. Round and round it goes with no end in sight. That can cause us to feel hopeless and helpless.  A reminder to yourself that it is just a thought and you can control it, will stop the whirlwind. Like a leaf drifting down the river, a negative thought is momentary and will soon be gone from sight if you let it go.  You have control over the thought.

Remember, all we really have in life is the moment we are in.  I like to think things like "Be Happy" and "Seize the Day" to remind myself how important it is to stay tuned in to the good things in my life and to let go of any thoughts that are negative.  

No comments:

Post a Comment