Sunday, November 30, 2014

What If...?

Do you ever find yourself wondering about the decisions you have made in your life?  From the vantage point of the future, we look back and second guess our decisions.  

Do you know what always stops me in my tracks as I prepare to blast myself for some decision that I made in the past? I have to pause in my self-recrimination as I remember the good things that I experienced after the decision! Let me add, that decision may have been to remain where I was,  and it may have been to move on to something different.   For all the negatives that may have flowed from that decision, there are positives as well.  

The self reproach sounds something like, "well, if I had/had not done that, this negative thing would not have happened".  The remembrance of the good takes over to say, "if I had/had not done that, I would never have known X or experienced Y.  X can be filled in as someone I met after the decision who graced my life for some period of time and taught me to consider something that added to my peace and happiness.  Y is some sweet memory of life after that decision. 

The bottom line is that there are both good and bad results whether you make a change or you do not.

We each face difficult, mind bending decisions at times.  We can never really know how things will turn out whether we make a change or not.  

How do you decide what is best for you and, even more difficult, those you love?  You will make decisions that have negative impacts on you and the people you love.  You will also make decisions that will have very positive impacts on you and the people you love.  

The cool thing about life is that it offers us opportunities to change again and to have more insight the next time we have an important decision to make.   You do not have to remain stuck in what turns out to be a change that costs you too much of your own peace and happiness.

I know I will make more decisions in the future.  Some of those decisions will be "spot on" and some will suck swamp water.   Finding inner peace with my decision is what will bring me happiness. Learning to move on when I am in a place that robs me of my peace is equally important. If I am surrounded by people who are not at peace in themselves, I will not be able to find complete peace.
   
The Dalai Lama says that the Meaning of life is Happiness and the journey of life is to discover what truly brings happiness.  The spoiler is that happiness comes from inner peace.  Hanging with others who know that inner peace (at times) is the "icing on the cake".  Most likely, they have not yet attained complete and constant inner peace.  Truthfully, the only living person I suspect as having found total enlightenment, is the Dalai Lama.  He exudes something unique even when you are sitting in a huge audience experiencing his presence.   The important part is that others in your life are questing for that peace, a positive attitude and gentle correction within themselves.  May you always be in the moment and find the peace and happiness within it.  May you find many with whom to share your life who seek inner peace.  

As I helped my son clean up Thanksgiving mess, I felt peaceful and happy.  Its not what you are doing, it is being at peace in it. Finding your peace wherever you are is the source of happiness and happiness is the meaning (purpose) of life.  I can, if I allow it, find my peace (and happiness).  Peace shared is peace magnified.  

No comments:

Post a Comment